SPOILER ALERT!!
Don Quixote dies at the end! My AP english teacher ruined it for me cause we only had to read the first 100 pages for class. Now i'm scarred for life. I don't want him to die but... o well. You see Don Quixote is about a man, of about 50 or so, who tries relentlessly to resurrect chivalry and knight-errantry (a fancy term for knighthood) and believes in his mind that everything he sees has some knightly relevance and he must tackle this adventure to prove his worthiness and courage. His chivalry can be praised throughout, but his actions are simply foolish. His heroism, though, comes not from his actions, nor from his intentions, but more from the courage he presents against natural tendencies. He acts on what he knows and believes. He gives many a lesson in faith that we should all wish to have, not necessarily that we should charge into things blindly, but that we should support our faith in Christ no matter what others say. I'm not saying Don Quixote was right when he believed the windmills to be giants or the monks to be bandits, but we have factual evidence and yet one could argue that Don Quixote has a more firm faith in that which does not exist in any sense at all than many of us do in that which we do have evidence in support of. He proudly says "I am a knight" in an era that mocks him for such while we sometimes even have trouble saying "I am a christian" without prodding. Don Quixote is a great book and I encourage you all to read it. So have fun and good night!
---- The Walking Man
No comments:
Post a Comment