Friday, February 17, 2012

Go Dores.

Sooo tonight was Sanctuary and it was totally awesome. I got to walk to Lipscomb and see my two good friends Ashley and Emily before walking over to Sanctuary and praising God with 300ish? other people. It was awesome. Plus I got some Chick-Fil-A for the first time in… A long time. Great meal.

Anyways, I was reminded of something today that I hadn’t really thought of before in depth. Bluntly put, its that we become leaders by following an example set for us. We are Christian leaders because we follow the role set up by Christian men in the Bible. These men were not super-human, they were man, just like you and me. Any one of us is just as capable of walking on water or praying like David or even being persecuted in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior. We are called to follow their example and to lead.

But how do we lead? The trait that we can find in every single character in the Bible that is used as a leadership figure is the trait of servitude. BYG does a great job of emphasizing this and reminding students that their job is to serve, serve one another and serve God.

But how do we serve? This is what I was reminded most of tonight thanks to my pal Jackson Reimers. He’s my… bowling… chaplain. Pretty cool guy. Anyways what he said to me was something echoed by someone else in authority over us, “In order to learn how to serve, sometimes we have to be served.” How true is that? I’m not saying tell everyone to serve you so that you can be reliant on them and “learn a lot.” But What I’m saying is that sometimes, its easier to allow someone to serve you, so that they can lead, and so that you can learn how to lead. Make sense?

In short, we are called to lead, and thereby to serve, but in order to learn how to do those things, we have to have an example and that comes from characters in the Bible, and the people around us, that people around us are the ones that we can see in everyday situations serving us and showing us how to lead one another in a manner that reflects that which Christ showed here on earth.

This is my last thought I promise. When Jesus was washing the feet of the disciples, Peter said something along the lines of, “ Lord I am not fit to have you wash my feet.” and Jesus responded, “Unless you are washed then you will not be able to enter the kingdom of heaven with me.” Peter then says, “Lord wash my feet and my head and my hands also.” Peter realizes that in order to spread the Gospel, he must be one of the people who has it, (cause who can share what one doesn’t have?)  Peter needs the Gospel (or salvation) and the only way for him to get it is through allowing Jesus to serve him in His death. Jesus’s death was the ultimate act of service, and if we refused that, well, we wouldn’t have much to look forward to. So Peter saw that the service Jesus was doing was something that served him and ENABLED him to share the Gospel in the name of Jesus Christ.

I love you guys, talk to you soon!

 

----The Running Man

No comments:

Post a Comment