Hey guys so today’s post is actually my first of the new year, and it’s a post about how I spent the new year. After a great party at the Krueger’s I got home around 4 am and had to leave at 430 so that I could be at the church on new years to leave for a trip. At 520 I hopped in the car and drove to Chattanooga.We picked up Nathan Newman and drove up to the Smokies.
Day 1: We arrived at the Jake’s Creek Trailhead at around 1 and left with our packs strapped at 2. From an elevation of about 700 feet we hiked up to about 4800 feet in 5 miles (Quite a FEET if you’ve ever been hiking(haha that was a PUN)) then declined to 4100 feet to set up camp over the next mile. That night we built a fire and set up tents, but the temperature dropped down to about 10 degrees.
Day 2: We woke around 8 and went for a nice 7 mile hike rising in elevation to 5607 feet and then decreasing to around 5500 for camp. We had a shelter, but the temperature never really rose about 20 degrees. That hike took around 4 hours, a pretty good pace, and Leo, Jonathan, and I finished about an hour before the other three. After the others showed up, Leo, Jonathan and I decided to hike up to Clingman’s Dome (The second highest point on the east coast) A hike to 6500 feet over 3 miles. A VERY strenuous hike when its freezing out. But by the time we got through about 2 miles, the wind was hitting about 25mph and it was snowing pretty hard. By the time we got to the top, the wind was around 40 mph, and the temperature was around –20 degrees with wind chill. We hiked the 3 miles back in the dark and froze to death that night in –10 degree weather.
Day 3: we woke up and descended back to 700 feet over 12 miles in 4.5 hours. That’s super legit fast and we beat the other three by 3 hours because they left 2 hours before us and got finished 1 hour afterwards.
Dueces!
----The Running Man
No comments:
Post a Comment