Hey guys, so I have some awesome news to share with you! First, I’M NOT DROPPING MY MATH CLASS! I just might have to retake it next semester. Second, I’M COMING HOME FOR EASTER! For those of you that aren’t excited now….. Thirdly, I’m headed to St. Lucia this summer for a week. From May 26- June 3, the Vanderbilt Navigators have dedicated a week to going down to St. Lucia in order to establish a connection with the natives there and teach them about the love of Jesus as well as foster their growth and ability in spreading the word.
In far simpler terms, the population of St. Lucia is mostly African, having been brought over during the slave trade, but were mostly left to their own fate for a good while, becoming mostly a tourist attraction and popular honeymoon location. But the problem has arisen with the rise in MTV and BET culture which has taken a VERY firm footing down in St. Lucia. Men, women, and children often sell themselves in order to buy the things they find “coolest” on TV. It’s a materialistic culture much like our own, but there isn’t even a portion of their culture that claim Christianity.
Our goal in going down to St. Lucia is to establish a connection with them, so that we might be able to return there once or twice a year and help them to grow in their Christian population. While we are down there we will be having workshops and training sessions for the few Christian children down there so that they can evangelize better and so that they can stand stronger in their faith.
This mission trip, if it is successful in establishing a connection, could lead to the change of an entire country to a massive servant for God, and this would not be done by any human means. The only way that we could possible hope to accomplish this is with the help of God the Father Himself. I don’t have the time to tell you the things He has shown me this semester, but I have felt led to go on this trip to help those who are in a struggling community.
The FIRST and MOST IMPORTANT way that you can help is by prayer. We know that prayer is the most powerful support anyone can give. If you feel led, the financial need of this trip is also $1800 and as some of you may know, I am not able to pay for all that myself. So for any of you that can or would be willing to help support me, simply send me your mailing address so that I can send you commitment card and envelope. Send your mailing address to david.m.nakayama@vanderbilt.edu and I will be sure to send you a letter!
Thanks for all the support, I love you all!
----The Running Man
No comments:
Post a Comment