Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Grieving Friend

What do you say to a friend who has just lost one of their closest companions? You apologize, of course. You tell them you are there for them. You comfort them. But how can you end their grief? Is that even possible? I want so hard to try and help them. I want to give them something, some sort of comfort that will let them know that everything is OK and they can move on. But if you don't know whether that companion of theirs was a Christian? I've lost friends and made some, but not in the same sense. Its so hard to fathom death because one moment they are there with you and then the next day you find out you will never see them again. How can you comfort someone who feels that? Some people can see them again, but if the companion is not a Christian, you won't be able to. It has to hurt so much that that person you went through so much with is gone forever. Its incomprehensibly painful. And as a friend watching from the outside, I feel pain myself on behalf of those suffering. I want to take it upon myself but I just can't.

So what can you tell them? What can you say? You can't say anything. Nothing will give them solace. It hurts so much. Only God can comfort them and heal them of their pain. You can't do anything but watch them in pain.

But I can see a light
That is coming
For the heart that holds on
And there will be an end
to these troubles
but until that day comes
Still I will praise You
Still I will praise You
Cause oh no You never let go
Through the calm and through the storm
Oh no You never let go
In every high and every low
Oh no You never let go
Lord, You never let go of me
---- The Walking Man

2 comments: